We are seeking an Associate Director for Governmental Relations to focus on Respect for Life, Family Life and Religious Liberty issues to work as a member of our team at the California Catholic Conference, Inc. the public policy arm of the Bishops of the Catholic Church in California.
This is a full-time position in downtown Sacramento. The Associate reports to the Executive Director. Deadline for applications is June 14, 2018.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring legislation, keeping track of legislative calendars, and scanning relevant bills and amendments.
- Advocating on legislation by meeting with lawmakers, legislative staff, regulators, allies and opponents to discuss legislative proposals.
- Testifying before committees of the legislature and administrative agencies.
- Writing legislative alerts, letters, fact sheets reports, briefing memos, and background papers.
- Establishing and maintaining an active liaison with other local advocacy groups or other issue related non-profit advocacy organizations.
- Researching various issues, federal and state laws, court rulings and regulations.
- Assists the Diocesan Respect Life and Family Life Directors in their efforts to establish political advocacy networks.
- Provide written information and training occasionally for The Catholic Legislative Network effort.
- Exercise budgetary oversight for areas of responsibility and accomplishes administrative tasks and other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree desirable in related field.
- Public policy experience preferred.
- Strong writing skills, advanced research experience, and the ability to simplify complex policy issues into terms the general public can easily grasp.
- Strong verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills, a solid work history, and a professional demeanor.
- Punctuality and willingness to work until tasks are completed.
- Precise attention to detail and deadlines.
- Poise, mature judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential information.
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish desirable.
- Knowledge of Catholic teachings and Catholic in good standing required.
- Computer proficiency and knowledge of internet communications and social media.
- Job requires valid driver’s license, and ability to move back and forth to nearby office buildings, operate computer and office equipment.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resumé, short writing sample, and three letters of recommendation to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
(Tags: job opening, employment, employee, application, lobbyist, opportunities)